Monday, July 7, 2008

The First Week is OVER




Well, we have survived our first week with the girls. Or I can say, the girls have survived their first week with us. I do have to say that I don't remember the first couple of days. Everything seems like a fog. I was exhausted to begin the week and it didn't get any better until the last couple of days. They are finally not taking naps and they are sleeping to at least 6:30 in the morning. I will so happy if they will at least sleep until 7, but I will take 6:30 any day now.

The girls are settling down with us. I thought the "honey-moon" phase would last longer than a couple of days. NOPE - not for them. I am glad though because it gives us a chance for them to build their trust with us. I am actually liking the "fussing" that happens at least once a day with each one. It is really strengthening our love for one another. :0) The girls have started to share stories with me about their home in Ghana, mother, grandmother, father, and Eban House. It is so interesting to listen to them and see their perspective on things. Again, I wasn't quite ready for this because I was still thinking the "honey-moon" phase would be longer. But, I am thankful that they love and trust me to share things with me.

I do have to stay how proud I am of the girls. They have trusted and loved me enough to bring them on an airplane over here to a completely different country / life style.

*They trust me enough to give them time-outs.
*They trust me enough to feed them.
*They trust me enough to say "No" to them.
*They trust me enough to love them.
*They trust me enough to kiss them.
*They trust me enough to tuck them in.
*They trust me enough to share stories with me.
*They trust me enough to take them in the car. . . . . . They trust me!

Jarett is still new with them. They don't seem to pull as much stuff with him as they do with me. But, they have been with me more and he is back to working so they are with me ALL day long. I told him, don't worry, he will get his share when I go back to work in 2 weeks. He will be home with them all by himself for 4 days. I think he will feel really loved by them. :0)

I will be excited when school starts because the routine will be really good for them. We are not in a routine because it is summer. So I think this may a little harder for them. I am keeping to the eating schedule which is great for them and the sleeping schedule is getting better. It's hard when it stays light until almost 9 at night here. But tomorrow we will have to work better at the sleeping instead of the swimming. The girls are fishes. They are doing so good with swimming. Racheal basically has it. She just needs to keep practicing. She can swim to the wall but she seems to push off pretty hard to get there. Rita loves the float, so we need to get her off that and practicing swimming.

But......the first week is over and they are adjusting great. The three children are adjusting and trying to figure out where they stand. All we do is reassure everyone how much we love them and how God gave us each other. We talk about our feelings and definitely pray. :0)

Thank you to everyone who has supported us with this journey so far. It's not easy, but it is rewarding for everyone in the Baxter household.

Chalene

3 comments:

Heather said...

Chalene, I'm so glad that the girls are settling down and everyone is getting used to each other. The testing can be tough stuff, but it sounds like you're a trooper and are handeling it in the best possible way. But don't forget to take care of yourself :) Praying for the bonding and trust to build.
HeatherA

Jen said...

Heather- We will take care of Chalene. She is coming over tomorrow after the girls go to bed and we are having an adoption support group meeting that will include a nice cocktail. It is nice that we are at the same place and can share our experiences!!

Jennine

The Hermyzoo! said...

Wow congratulations Baxter Family! What an exciting an exhauting time for sure. Glad to know that you are all doing well and that the girls are adjusting. I am sure it's probably a real special adjustment for everyone. I look forward to learning more about your family.