Thursday, May 22, 2008

Humidity VS My Hair

Hands down - humidity wins! My hair is so wild here in Ghana. We are really close to the ocean. You can smell the salt in the breeze and feel nice and wet all day. I have worn my hair in a braid and pulled up. No way do I want to scare the girls or the other children with wild hair.

Today was a fun but relaxing day. My sister and I went to the Eban House around 9:30or so. The children were in school. We said Hi and went off to decorate the walls. We had such a good time with the staff. By the schedule wall, we put up "Staff" using vinyle. Above the bulletin board, we put "Eban" and under it we put "Established 2007". I brought the word "Home" with me and it's the wrong word. So when I come back, we will add the word "House" to the Eban. Under the bulletin board, we put "Home Forever". It looks really nice. We took pictures of the staff memebers with the polaroid camera. Muna was the first one. We took about 4 different pictures of her. The light was so bright in the house that the pictures weren't turning out to be as nice. We also took a picture of each of the children. It was cute to see the staff brushing their hair, getting them all ready to go. That tells you how much they care about the children. They are an amazing group of people. They care so much for the children.

Leigh Ann and I took Rita and Richeal out to lunch at a resturant. It was really good food. We ordered chicken and rice (what else). The girls got Fantas (2 of them). They downed those babies. They acted so well. They were very polite and ate it all! I have come to the conclusion that Richeal is very good with buttons and technology. Karson better watch out - I think she is as good as he is. She figured out how to work my camera (she is very good) and how to play back the pictures. Both of the girls were taking pictures of everything including leaves, trees, chair legs...you name it! Richeal told me she wants to be a doctor when she grows up. Rita says she wants to be a kitchen lady when she grows up. I am thinking I have the best of both worlds. I will have a doctor and a cook in the family. :)

It is really funny to walk into the house and all the children call me "Mommy". I thought at first they don't understand about Mommys, but one of the children said "That's Rita and Richeal's Mommy", so then I knew.

It was really cute, Rita and Richeal were talking about their muscles and how strong they are. Then Richeal said "My daddy has really big muscles, see..." That was so cute! She just loves her daddy. She keeps asking to see him. Both of the girls seem like they are ready to come to America. They want to go on "Friday" to American. It has been hard telling them that this was a visit and the next time I come, they get to go home.

Tomorrow we are going to the Kasos Orphanage to deliver food. I am excited to visit there and see everything. Well my eyes are getting heavy so I better close my eyes!

Chalene

5 comments:

Heather said...

Chalene,
I'm sure you look beautiful, not matter how 'artistic' your hair may look! It sounds like you and your girl's hearts are melded together. It makes me all the more excited to go meet my 4 kiddos. Have a glorious time!
Heather Sears

Amy said...

Chalene,

It is such a joy to hear you share about your experiences. Your girls sound so interesting- it must be such a wonderful feeling to be getting to know them. I'm sure you wish they could come home now as much they do! :) It must be hard for them to understand.

Again, thank you for your gift of communication with us while you are there... both on your blog and on the AAI boards. I treasure everything you share and it means the world to me that you remember us while you are there. :) You rock Chalene! And I can't wait to see the wall for myself! Great idea!

Ever grateful,
Fabu

Lisa said...

Hi Chalene (and tell Leigh Ann "Hi"),
It's so great to hear how you're doing and we can't wait to meet the girls. It's fun to start learning about their personalities! It sounds like you're having a great time and they love their mother - can't wait to hear about it more when you get back. Conner is going to visit the cousins over at Grandma's tomorrow for a possible sleep over! We also had a baby quail hatch today - his name is Max.

Take Care!
Lisa

Sarah Rohret said...

Hi Chalene,
thanks for telling us about your trip. Please give Isaac and Samson a hug for me and tell them that I am coming as soon as I can and I think about them everyday. I feel so bad I didn't send a card with you to give them - I thought I would be there with you!
blessings
Sarah

Renee said...

Chalene,

I am so happy for you!!! Enjoy your time with your girls!