Friday, May 23, 2008

Life's First Lesson

Percy explained some of the Ghanian culture to Leigh Ann and I. The first life lesson of a child is "No means No and Yes means Yes". He explained it so well. I actually got to say "No" for the first time with the girls. As smart as Richeal is with my camera, I have come to the conclusion that I need to keep the camera with me. She loves to push the buttons and she does a great job with it. She got into my bag and took the camera out. I told her "No" and that "Just Mommy uses this camera". One day as she gets older, we can get her, her own camera. She responded very well.

Today we went to the market and bought rice, 25 big bags of little bags of water, flour and oil. We took this donation to the Kasos Orphanage. They were so grateful. They gave us a bag of water. We told them we were ok with our own water, but the Elder explained it was custom, so we gratefully excepted. They took us around the orphanage. It was a little depressing. The bedrooms only had about half of the beds with mattresses, which smelled of urine. The smell was very strong! We saw the kitchen, dining room, school rooms, and the bathroom. They asked us to take pictures of it. The really sad part of this trip was when we brought the water bags, as we left, the children were fighting over getting them first. This is an orphanage that definitely needs help.

We got back around 3:00. We were running late because Muna had a meeting with her staff at 2:00. Needless to say, we haven't eatten lunch yet. We played with the kids while they were meeting. I got the chance to trace one foot and one hand of each child, except Selina. She wanted no part in this. Richeal tried to help while Rita held Selina, but she still refused. We made paper airplanes, but they didn't fly very well. Jarett should be here, because he can make great airplanes. We also drew cats and dogs. Richeal says, "I want to kiss Cookie when I come to America". Leigh Ann and I tease her about this. We tell her that Cookie may beat her to the kiss.

I did get my first kiss from Richeal today. Yesterday she kissed my arm, but today she actually gave me a kiss. I asked Rita for a kiss and she did it, but was a little shy. After the mommy kiss, she smiled.

One of the little boys that begins with a W and ends with a S - was very cute today. He talked a lot more to me. He says he likes blue and purple. I was told by "Isa" that I have plenty of hair. That's nice to know since I am having a very difficult time with my hair being here. The four muskeers are just as wonderful. They are really coming around and talking more. They like cats and dogs.

Well I am hungry and want to eat my chicken and rice dinner. Update later. :0)

Chalene

No comments: