Saturday, May 24, 2008

I Want to Be Your Friend

We have met a lot of people being on our own and venturing out. Some people say |"I want to be your friend". So we have many friends here. We have a taxi driver that gave us his phone number so we could call him to take us places. He was single, so I asked Muna if she would like a "friend". She laughed at me and said "No". I take that as she doesn't want us to set her up. We know many friends, so if she wants one then I told her to let me know and I will help her get one. We laughed a lot. The resturant we have gone to twice - we have many friends there. The waitress will greet us and say "Welcome my friend". Lots of friends here in Ghana!

Today we went to the African Market. We bought some really neat things there. I saw a carved chair with a giraffe and I Love it. I want to go back to get it. I don't know if I will but for sure the second trip. Leigh Ann and I ate our first FULL fish. The head and everything was on our plate. It tasted very good though. We got it fried. The sight of the fish was a little different than we are used to, but at least we tried and ate about half of it. :0)

Richeal and I had our first "Little" disagreement. It felt good! She wanted me to bring her a watch tomorrow so she could wear it to church. I told her "No, I will bring a watch for you on our next visit, so you could wear it all the time". I explained to her that the house mothers wouldn't let her wear it very long and I want her watch to be a special gift that she can put on once and keep it. She got a little moody with me and did the attitude I know all so well. She went and sat off by herself. I asked her to come join us and she just ignored me. I went off and played with the other children and eventually she came back to play. I told her I love her but in America we don't get to have everything we want. Sometimes, things are special that we have to wait for. She understood - I think. She was back to her old self. It felt good to have that for the first time. I feel she is seeing me as a parent.

I can tell that Rita is going to be a mommy's girl. She loves to come to me and stays with most of the time. Richeal seems like she will be a daddy's girl. She seems to be more tomboyish and loves to learn everything. I can tell with her personality she will go far in this life. Rita is much more easy going. At this point I feel Rita, Karleigh, and Kaiden will pair up and Richeal and Karson will pair up. Karson and Richeal have the personality that seems to be stronger but in a postitive direction. I see both of them playing the video games that challenge their minds.

The left hand topic came up today! Richeal told me, "T.T. needs a new hand to eat with". I laughed so hard. TT said she knew Richeal would say something at sometime. When we went out to eat the other day, she gave TT a weird look as she was eating. We will explain to her that in America, you can eat with whichever hand you want to use. Karleigh is left handed also, so we will definitely have to have this conversation.

I am so impressed with the routine that the Eban House has with the children. They know exactly what to do. It is such an awesome feeling to know while you are waiting for your paperwork to clear, your children are being loved.

I brought bracelets for the children to make. I am hoping that Monday we can do that. Ruth didn't want to do it this weekend. I think she wants to get Muna's approval, so we will wait. Monday is packed with lots of things.

I hope my family understands that I will probably not be smelling very nice when I get off the airplane. We are going to try to take a shower before we leave for the airport, but with this heat and humidity, it might be a wasteful shower. Oh Well, it's the smell my family will have to love until I take a shower. My children want to go to Peter Piper Pizza right after the airport, so it may be a while before I can take another shower. YUM!

Chalene

No comments: