Monday, May 26, 2008

Tuck in on the Last Night

Well, we have no 3 inch roach story to tell. I am very disappointed because that was one thing I was looking forward to. We do have other stories and memories. It was really neat when Rita and Richeal talked to me about remembering when we did the computer web cam. That is neat because that is their first memory of us talking to them, so that is pretty cool.

Last night I got to have the girls talk to their daddy, 2 brothers, and grandpa. Their sister was out shopping with grandma, so she didn't get to talk to them. They really like their sister, so that was a little disappointing for them. I got to tuck the girls in for my last night. It was really cute because I was leaning down and talking to Rita. I hugged Rita and told her I loved her and we gave good night kisses. Then I stepped over Selina and Ishamel (they were sleeping on the floor) and went to Richeal. I did the same thing. I notice the room was very quiet and after our good night kisses, I turned around and everyone was starring and laughing. Especially Elizabeth! So as she was climbing up to bed, I grabbed her and gave her a kiss on the cheek. She laughed so hard. Well, then it spiraled with the other girls. They were laughing and trying to get me to do the same with them. Little Victoria was on the bottom bunk and she grabbed my leg and laughed so hard. It was so cute how the girls were responding to this. They will need lots of kisses. I don't know if kissing is a big deal in their culture or maybe it's just not done at the home. I am not sure. I am thinking it's just not part of their culture? Anyways, they seem to like it and laugh like it tickles. In my family, we are very affectionate. That was one thing as a mother I promised myself I would do with my children. I wanted them to grow up and be affectionate people. Rita and Richeal have really responded to it well.

Last night was the first night that the girls watched TV and didn't require to sit on us. It seems like they are getting more settled with us - which is awesome. We talked last night about today being my last day with them. I am really hoping I won't cry or show a tear when I give my last kiss. We talked a lot about it and talked about what will happen when we come back. They seem like they understand, so this departure will help for them to build more trust and love between us.

This has been such a relaxing but wonderful trip. I feel like I know all the children and especially know Rita and Richeal. I am sure as I get home and get back into the routine I will remember more about the children. We have basically lived at the Eban House. We haven't even really spend much money because we have been there most of the time. That was my goal though. I wanted every minute I could have to get to know the routines and the children's personalities. I asked the staff if I could watch the bath routine and they were happy for me to do that. I watch Rita and Richeal give themselves baths and watched how they picked out their cloths (clothes). The children don't seem to have favorites of anything. They seem to love everything. If you ask them what is your favorite color, they will respond " I like la color blue" but if you show them the color green, they will say "I like la color green". They do love to ride bikes. We brought the bikes out and that started a little bit of argueing between the children. We showed them a little path they could ride and then they give the bike to the next person in line. That seemed to help keep the calmness down. :0) They do need more bikes and especially trikes. Maybe that is a project that I could begin. I just don't know where they will keep them though if they get more. The absolutely love to ride them and they are very good with it.

Yesterday Percy showed up to take Leigh Ann and I out to the market. It was fun bargaining with the gentlemen. They weren't as pushing as what I expericenced in Malawai. They seemed to give up more. Leigh Ann got some really cool drums and other things. I didn't get the drums this time but next time. I got maracas and some hand ball thing. It will all make music though when we do our "Music Night" that we will be adding to our family tradition (thanks to Anita for the idea).

Well I will post when I get home and get the final report cards finished. :0)

Chalene

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hi Chalene,

I hope your journey home was smooth. :) I won't pepper you with questions because I can empathize with the pressure of report cards and know how much that takes and I'm sure trying to recover from such a huge trip while doing them is a killer, but just know that whenever you are ready to share- we'll be ready! :)

I can't thank you enough for the information on the kids... it was a such a blessing and I can't wait to see new pics. :) Take care of yourself, brave adventurer, and best of luck getting those report cards done!

Fabu