Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The First Day Has Ended

Well, today was the first full day with the girls. They woke up at around 6:30. They were so good as they just played quietly with their toys as we woke up. I was awake but my body wasn't. It was hard to sleep the first night. I listened to them breath and watched them roll around. Racheal is definitely a flip flop type of sleeper. She kept ending up by me. I had her foot on knee and her head under my arm. I wonder if she used to sleep like that where she would move until she came across the wall. I think that because she did the same thing when we took a nap. Rita is a very still sleeper. She only turned once, at least while I was up (most of the night).

We went to the Eban House for about an hour and a half. Rita and Racheal were so excited to see everyone and show them their new shoes. The Aunties said they already look like Americans. The girls seemed to miss the Eban House a bit. So we are going to try to do short visits. After their nap, we went again and this time they asked to leave to go home. Now I am thinking they are beginning to understand us being today. I took pictures of the girls by their bed that they slep in at the Eban House. Racheal got her welcome bag back and her photo album. Rita said she didn't have hers because they (| think Percy) is going to show it to her mother. I said the stupidest thing, "I am your mother". She said "My mother in Ghan". That was so sweet and touching to hear. She recognizes that she has 2 mothers. I am so glad because I know the day will come and she will begin to ask questions.

Tomorrow we are going to an appointment and on our way we are going to stop by the girls' grandmother's house to ask permission to come and visit with everyone. Percy told me that their mother is in the home. I am so looking forward to talking with her and getting pictures. I am hoping to get video of her and their grandmother as well giving a message to the girls. That will be a treasure for them one day.

I think we are doing the going away party for the girls tomorrow. I am not sure how long our appointment is going to take. The girls want to go swimming so we are going to do this Friday morning when all the children are at school. I am also hoping to go to the beach and shopping in the next couple of days. I am watching how the girls are responding to what we are going.

New things for them today:
going to the restroom at a resturant: there was no toilet paper for the #2 thing. This was new to me too, so I let the girls use my hanking (yes, it was thrown away.)

Eating out: we have done this before but they are more comfortable with me, so we are working on trusting that I will feed them and they won't go hungry. I take snacks with us and make sure we eat at the same time they are used to at the Eban House.

Blowing Bubbles in a coke bottle: we learned that the fizz from the bubbles can get all over us and form a puddle on the chair.


The children at the Eban House all got their envelopes of cards and pictures. They loved them. Especiall little Victoria - she carried her pictures (of herself) all around. Thanks to a mom that visited a week ago for getting those pictures together for the children that don't have referral just yet. They loved them and felt very special. I haven't been able to capture a lot of sayings from the children because the House if full and it is very hard to talk to each one and give one on one attention. We are trying but it is difficult.

That about it for now. We just ate chicken and rice for dinner and took our baths. We are smelling really good now. :0)

Chalene

3 comments:

Amy J said...

HOw exciting that the girls are with you already! The sleep may not be good, but at least if you're awake you can look at them. Did you hear the Zimmerman's got a referral? Victoria.

Amy J.

Amy said...

Enjoy your time there Chalene- what amazing memories you will have for you and your girls! :)

Fabu

Jen said...

Yea, Selina and I are reading this together and are so excited! We can't wait for you to return so we can have our pool party. I am also dying to go shopping together with the twinsies so I can get them welcome home presents so we have to do that too when they are ready! I can't guess sizes well enough without them! Tell them auntie Jennine says "Hi and I love you all!"