Sunday, June 29, 2008

True Shopping Girls

The girls showed me yesterday that they are true shopping girls. They fit right in the other kids at home. They knew exactly what they wanted. They did very well with not asking for everything. They just knew what they wanted and moved on. Good Girls! I bought them a Ghanian hat, soccer shirt, doll (two headed - you flip the skirt and one side it is Ghanian and the other is American), and 2 drums. The gentlemen that Leigh Ann bought drums from on our first trip saw her and grabbed her to come back. We did and they even gave us a show with the drums. I, of course, video taped it. :0)

After shopping, we went to see the lawyer. He met with us and talked to Percy and Leigh Ann. He is so nice. He really cares for the children and seems to do a fantastic job. He told us that he will take the case and he will talk to the director of social welfare. He told us no worries that he will convince him because this is a special case. He also said this is the last single woman case he will do. I guess this is really hard to do. We just thank God that He jumped in for Leigh Ann and Akwise.

Last night was a little scary for us. As we were driving home, there was a lot of traffic. This means that it took us an hour to get back to the guest house. This is only a fifteen minute drive home with no traffic. Our driver decided to take a short cut and we ran into a street that was having a funeral of one of their leaders. In the Ghanian culture, they will carry the body (not in a casket) but holding it up in the air. They do this so the body will direct the people to all their favorite places before being buried (this is what our driver told us). Well the body decided he wanted to come our way. The people on the side of the street were yelling at us to move. They get VERY ANGRY if you don't listen to them. We were told they will smash your windows and egg your car. We even saw a guy with a huge gun walking down the street. Our driver said they mean business when a funeral of a leader is going on. So we turned onto a side street. Well, that street was a dead end. So we went back up that way. The body at that time decided to go another way. We just squeaked by as people were yelling at us. We did make it but it's a story for us. Since I still don't have a 3 inch roach story, I will take this one.

Today we are going to "mini America" and spend the day in the pool and beach. We plan to be back by around 4 or 5. This will give us time to pack, eat, and get to bed early. Percy is picking us up at 6 am to go to the airport. The traffic is very bad so we need to leave to be able to make it. Our wonderful friends here at the guest house will have breakfast for us. That is so sweet because this is early for them. I tell you how much I adore our friends here. One of them asked me for my flip flops. I may leave them for here. They are old but would look good on her feet. :0)

What has been so much fun with the girls is seeing their "first" of everything. Their laugh makes me laugh. They are so playful! I just love and adore them. They rode the elevator for the first time the other day. Going up was scary for them but now they laugh at it. I can't wait until they see America - boy, are they going to have a blast.

I don't know if I will be able to blog again until we are in America. I will try but if not then you will hear from me when we are in America again. YEAH - I can't wait. :0)

**** Mom - the girls know the video word by word, even the part that Karleigh jumps in and says "She spoils us". They laugh every time. They know the words to the other video that Karleigh, Kaiden, and Karson did for them. :0)

I know there are probably lots of errors in these posts, but I have to type fast or I will have a little helper at some point.

Chalene

2 comments:

Jen said...

OMG- the "being chased by the dead body" totally tops any roach story! You are now my winner for best story!! I can so picture it, I was DYING (no pun intended) when I read it!!!

Another- OMG- Someone (not daddy) wanted MY flip flops! We already know you are much nicer than me- I did not leave them. Note for future parents, bring an extra pair of flip flops to give away!!

I can't wait for you to come home!!!

I'll be praying for your plane ride! I don't know what advice to give for that except... eat lots of bananas, rice, applesauce and toast??? LOL

Jennine

A. Gillispie said...

Chalene got her big story!!! LOL! I'm with J--a dead body beats a 3 inch roach any day!!! So glad you are almost on your way home with the girls. What a journey you are starting!
Anita